Pages

Saturday, December 24, 2011

A Wedding Gift

Yesterday I went to the wedding of a friend.  She and I lived together for two years while going to our respective universities.  It was a good time and we were always trying to have the last word and had a lot of witty word wars.  I have to admit, she was a worthy opponent and gave me a run for my money.  

Somehow, though, I seem to remember, that I usually won out. 

Anyway, yesterday was the day she married her man and I thought that deserved a gift from the heart, something handmade.

She did have a registry at Home Outfitters, and I looked at the list and saw that she had herringbone pillows on her list.  I was a little miffed that I could not see a picture of them, even when I googled them.  So, I made my own version of Home Outfitters herringbone pillows.  Hopefully they are close to the real thing.

I searched online for a picture and then a tutorial and found this one at Our Humble A{Bowe}d.  It looked easy enough, though time consuming.  I think the pillows she wanted were red and black, so I made two pillow covers, one red with black stitching and one black with red stitching.  

I like them and kinda wanted to keep them.  But I have that with almost anything I make.  

I cut 4inch stripes, ironed them in half and pinned and sewed, pinned and sewed.


 
It was a lot of pinning and sewing.  As I said, easy enough, but time consuming.


I used the envelope style closure on the pillows again and I love how they turned out!



I wasn't sure I would like a black pillow, but I think I like this one better than the red!




Tomorrow, Christmas Day, we remember and celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ our Saviour. 

From Luke chapter 2: 
 8 And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. 9 An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. 12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”
 13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,
 14 “Glory to God in the highest heaven,
   and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”

4 comments:

  1. these are lovely! I really like the reverse color stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the owner of the lovely pillows... I APPROVE!
    Thanks D... and yes in the end I usually ran out of words first!

    k

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time consuming, but, SO effective!!! Hard to choose, but I think the black with red stitching is my favourite. A great present!!!

    ReplyDelete