Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

some help please

This year I caught in on the fun and joined Craftaholics Handmade Gift Exchange.  This was the sixth exchange and there are two a year, one in the spring and one in the fall.  

This year Linda chose to use a site called Elfster to organize the swap.  Elfster blindly paired people up and then when you find out your partner, you can ask secret questions and look at their likes and their wishlist.  Some people don't seem to like or understand how Elfster works, but I thought it was great!  It was nice to be able to ask my secret partner questions about her style and likes.  That way I can put a gift together that I know is her style.

My partner collects owls and foxes, and I had some owl fabric left, so I made a reversible tote.  It turned out a little smaller than I hoped, but it is still a good size for when you don't need to take much along.


I had received some of the same owl fabric in a different colourway so I reverse appliqued an owl of the lighter colour on both sides of the bag.  I haven't done reverse applique before and I really like how it turned out.  I first interfaced the fabric I cut out of so that the edges wouldn't fray too badly.


My partner said she really liked colour so the reverse I chose a much brighter print from my stash. 

******
A quick interruption from our local elephant.


She used to be scared of this costume, but now she wears it weekly.  Even eats lunch with it on!

******

I am going to take a really big step.  I am joining a QAL.
I know!  What am I doing?  I'm not a quilter!
I make clothes and small quilty things, but I am not a quilter!

See, it's a big step.

I read over on Marian's blog about a QAL that Fat Quarterly is hosting.  Then I saw the quilt she was talking about and it was one I had pinned a while ago!  How could I resist!
The quilt is Hexie MF from Katy over at i'm a ginger monkey.

image from i'm a ginger monkey
I loved this quilt the moment I saw it, and now I have the opportunity to make it!  I am just a little excited to be making hexies all summer and then end up with this!

But now I have to pick fabrics.  I don't have a specific plan for this quilt, other than to make it, so my colour options are pretty open.  I headed over to the Fat Quarter Shop and Etsy to scope out some good fabrics and came up with three lines that I really like.  I want colours that will make the flowers pop from the background.  For all three lines I chose Soho Charcoal for the background.  I really wanted to find a crosshatch or sketch in charcoal, but there is none to be had, so this will work.

I need your help now.  Which of these three lines do you think will show off the pattern of the quilt best?

Domestic Bliss by Liz Scott for Moda Fabrics
Peachy Keen La Dee Da from Erin McMorris

Vogue Blue Modernology by Pat Bravo


4 comments:

  1. Voted domestic bliss. For hexies it's better to use slightly smaller prints to show off the fabric =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Domestic Bliss would show it better because the prints are not that big!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found you on the Gift Exchange Linky Party, and I love the tote you made! Beautiful colors, stylish.... well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote "domestic bliss" - the colors are fabulous! :) I'm visiting from the HGE linky; the bag you made is great!
    Happy Day!
    Michelle
    www.daydreambelievers.net

    ReplyDelete