Saturday, May 3, 2014

when do I have time!?

Oy! I am so glad I will be done with teaching by the end of June.  I feel like I don't have enough time to do everything - and I'm only teaching two classes.  I've resorted to printing off a calendar just for sewing deadlines.  I have to make a couple dresses to finish an order, and an apron as well as bee blocks and swaps.  I know, the last two are really optional, but I like to have variety in my sewing.  I also started a quilt for my mom, but that is on the back burner right now.

A friend of mine is having her first baby this June and she asked if I would make baptism outfits for her.  In our church, we baptize babies when they are a week or two old, basically as soon as possible, so baptism outfits need to be small.  For our kids, we kept it simple and I made a large swaddling blanket from cuddle satin to wrap our babies in.  Way easier and no having to dress a tiny baby in something relatively more fussy.
Back to my friend though... They don't know if they are having a boy or a girl so she asked for a gown and a tiny tux.  I finished the gown first as it was easier.  This is the tiny tux.

Although it is tiny, I'm not sure it's tiny enough!  I told her she better have a fat baby if it's going to be a boy :)

My daughter turned 4 a few weeks ago and I always like to make something handmade for a gift. Last year I made a housecoat for her. This year she was in need of a new backpack to carry odds and ends around in.  I found a very detailed tutorial by Angela Pingel here and worked away on making the bag in the evenings.

It was definitely a lot of work, but so worth it.  I changed the owl out for a zipper pocket on the front and the mesh pockets for elasticized fabric pockets on the sides.

D loved it and that makes it even more worth it.  I didn't use twill fabric for the outer, but I did interface it with some good stiff interfacing so hopefully it will hold up just as well.

After all that difficult stuff was done, I needed to sew something simple.  Something that didn't require interfacing, buttons, or elastic.  Enter fabric basket.  Such a simple sew, even though it does require interfacing.  Seriously, once you make one of these, you just want to make more because they are so satisfying to make.

This basket is going to be sent off my my 4S swap partner.  Last round we made drawstring bags and filled them, this time it's fabric baskets.
My partner was very helpful, commenting and giving specific information for what she likes.  Based on her likes, I decided to make bearpaw blocks in bright colours with low volume background.

I offered up some backgrounds and a decision was made for the black linen.  I would have loved to have done a low volume background so the bearpaws would have seemed to be floating, but this wasn't for me, so black linen it is.

And it did turn out beautifully.

I added two rows of handstitching in yellow to brighten up the black a bit.  Love it!

Lastly, for today, I finished up round 1 of the Traveling Quilts!  Yay!  I was a little confused about what to add because in my mind what was sent didn't really seam to match in any way.  But I figured it out - just hope Julie likes my take on it.  

I can only show a sneak peek because the whole thing is supposed to be a surprise, but I wish I could show it all!  I didn't make the undies, Julie did, but I did make some of the bits that snuck in to this picture.  And now it's off to Shena.